Sunday, May 6, 2012

Wonderful Weeknight Wines: Moshin Pinot Noir

As my search for wonderful weeknight wines continues, I have stumbled on a few good ones...

For me, "weeknight wine" is code for a bottle of wine that is under $20 but still delicious. After years of avoiding Costco, I was finally convinced to check out their wine selection. 

I was overwhelmed by the long aisles, gigantic shopping carts, and well-known wine brands. When I saw how low the wines were priced, I quickly amassed a case of many varietals. It was like going shopping and finding out everything was on sale! 

But, like most women, I'm guilty of buying clothes because they were on sale, even though they didn't fit right. How could I turn down such a great deal?! This rationale flies out the window when you get home and realize the sale jeans are too short or the sale sweater is too tight. I've learned that many stores will not return sale items, whether you've had buyer's remorse or better judgment.

With this thought in mind, I reminded myself I was at Costco to find a wonderful weeknight wine. I considered the 12 bottles of wine in my too-big, awkward cart. I removed the bottles that cost more than $20, and narrowed my purchase down to 5 bottles. (I only had room for that many bottles in my wine fridge anyway.)

For $82.14, I went home with Chardonnay, Malbec, Primitivo, and two Pinot Noirs (one Sonoma, one Oregon).

The 2009 Moshin Pinot Noir from Sonoma was light and fruity with good acidity--a great wine you can enjoy both with and without food. (I had at least one glass while I was cooking dinner.) It paired nicely with the sugar-brined pork chops, sweet potatoes, and broccoli with a lemon-mustard sauce I prepared.

Costco's price was $8 less than retail price. For $15.99, I will definitely buy this wine again.






No comments:

Post a Comment