Thursday, May 24, 2012

A Pinot that was better the 2nd day?!

There are not normally leftovers at my house. I don't usually like drinking (or eating) the same thing two days in a row and I don't like to be wasteful, but there are always exceptions...

When I opened a bottle of 2009 Patz & Hall Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir ($45) on Sunday evening, I didn't expect there would be any left over.

It was delicious right after being opened. Robust flavors, big body, and bold finish--this was not a wimpy wine by any means. My boyfriend said he might have guessed it was a Zinfandel if he had to guess. The dark fruit flavors and prominent tannins were surprising--a pleasant surprise--and no doubt enabled the wine to hold nicely until Monday evening.

I have had big Napa Cabs that tasted better the next day, but I usually find second-day Pinot Noir disappointing and lifeless. The Patz & Hall was incredible the day after being opened (to keep it, I used a VacuVin and I left it on the counter at room temperature). Aromas of currant, black cherry, blackberry, black licorice and spice enticed the nose. It was a perfume I wanted to dab behind my ears. This deep garnet-hued wine offered the same dark fruit flavors on the palate, with a long, dry finish.

I would imagine this wine would age well....although it is sold-out at the winery. I'll have to check out the 2010's and report back! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment