Friday, May 18, 2012

Russian River Revelry

Last Friday, I had an appointment in Santa Rosa. It seemed like a waste of gas to drive all the way up there and not take advantage of the close proximity to so many wineries, so I convinced my friend Danielle to go with me. My appointment was 11 am; by 11:20, we were ready to go wine tasting. 

I used www.wineroad.com to decide which wineries would be most convenient for us to visit. Hanna Winery was a mere 3 miles from my appointment; that was our first stop.

Before our visit, I didn't know anything about Hanna, other than the fact that they produced Sauvignon Blanc. Now that it's practically summertime, I'm on the hunt for quaffable white wines...

Mission accomplished! The 2011 Russian River Sauv Blanc was very tasty ($19). Pale straw color in the glass, the wine had alluring aromas of lime and orange blossom. Bright acidity was balanced by lush tropical fruit flavors. This is a great wine to drink by itself or pair with salads, seafood, or goat cheese.

Visiting Hanna was a very pleasant experience made possible by our host, Patrick (a former Hanna wine club member turned part-time tasting room host). The red wines at Hanna were also impressive. I particularly enjoyed the 2007 Alexander Valley Merlot ($34), the 2007 Bismark Mountain Cab Franc ($56), and the 2007 Bismark Mountain Titan, a Malbec blend. (Bismark Mountain is the Sonoma side of Napa's famous Spring Mountain.)

With a few bottles of Hanna in the trunk, we decided to make one more stop.

Less than 15 minutes later, we sidled up to the tasting bar at--one of my favorites!--Dutton-Goldfield Winery.

We had a wonderful tasting, including a refreshing Pinot Blanc, the delicious Rued Vineyard Chardonnay, many beautiful Pinot Noirs, and a brief encounter with the owner/winemaker Dan Goldfield (bonus!). He talked to us about his Burgundian approach to winemaking and his love for cool-climate vineyards; he looked like he had just finished or was about to go on a bike ride.    

This was my second trip to the Dutton-Goldfield tasting room and I can't wait to go back for more!  

No comments:

Post a Comment