Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Think pink and color coordinated




Last night, as I sat down to a simple dinner of roasted Atlantic King salmon and garlicky asparagus, I couldn't help but notice the color of the wine I poured for myself matched the pink hue of the salmon perfectly.

The wine was Mumm Napa Valley Brut Rosé non-vintage sparkling wine ($24 a bottle at the Mumm Napa website). With it's bright strawberry notes and dry finish, it was a tasty compliment to my meal.

And it got me thinking about how I go about pairing food with wine. Unless you are color-blind, my approach might work for you too.

I match the color of the food (or the main element of the dish) to the color of the wine, such as:

white fish like cod or halibut and yellowish foods like quiche, corn, and squash with a white wine pale yellow/straw in color like a Californian Sauvignon Blanc;

green foods like salads, avocado, and herb dips with a white wine that has grassy notes and might be so pale in color it has a greenish tinge like Vinho Verde or Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand;

white/grayish foods like oysters or fried fish served with tartar sauce go well with a minerally Chablis or sparkling brut;

cheesy pasta, roast chicken, or quinoa salad with a deep straw/golden hued wine like a medium-bodied Chardonnay;

pink foods like a summer salad of watermelon, tomato and feta and salmon, shrimp, or pork go nicely with rosé;

red meat, pasta with red wine or red meat sauce, pizza with tomato sauce go well with Bordeaux varietals, Zinfandel, or Italian red wines;

Pinot Noir is great with duck and seared ahi, but I drink it with almost everything.

Spicy curries and multi-colored food like Mexican cuisine often go better with beer in my opinion.

Also, if you are cooking with wine or making a wine reduction sauce, use the same wine you intend to enjoy with your meal. I often make risotto; if I want to drink Cabernet Sauvignon with it, I'll simmer it in Cab. If I want to drink Pinot Noir with it, I'll use Pinot (and so on). If I had used a dry white wine (which is what most risotto recipes call for), the dish would not have paired well with red wine.

Although this color-matching method works for me, the best wine and food pairing advice is to drink whatever makes you happy. And as the singer Pink says, raise your glass!


No comments:

Post a Comment