Tuesday, May 15, 2012

New Zealand knows Sauv Blanc

My boyfriend and I hosted a dinner party this past Saturday at my house. The weather forecast was hot, so I stocked up on Sauvignon Blanc.

The Villa Maria Estate wines that I agreed to sample for a promotional Twitter tasting also arrived just in time for our party. http://cmp.ly/2

The first bottle of wine we opened was a Pine Ridge Chenin Blanc (only $10.99 at Trader Joe's!). It was very crisp and clean--and disappeared quickly.

One of my boyfriend's friends asked me if there was any more wine--she obviously doesn't know me very well.

"If you go in the fridge, you'll find Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, sparkling wine, and more Chenin Blanc. Take your pick," I said.

She grabbed the 2011 Villa Maria Cellar Selection Sauvignon Blanc (SRP $21.99) and twisted the cap off without hesitation.

Although I'm not usually a fan of Sauv Blanc--it can be too acidic with not enough flavor--I was "wowed" by this wine. Everyone who tasted it loved it!

With its attractive gold label and Burgundy-style bottle, this looks like a fancy Sauvignon Blanc that might have spent time in oak barrels. The name is misleading, too--"Cellar Selection", but it is merely the best fruit from the crop. A small portion of the grape skins are left in contact with the juice and the wine sits on the yeast lees for a short period of time--but the wine does not see any oak.

The wine has bright acidity, which is balanced by a luscious mouthfeel. It has a medium-light body with aromas of melon and white flowers. The palatte is fruit-driven with gooseberry and green apple flavors. Lime and mineral notes linger on the finish.

I will definitely track down this wine to have on hand for dinner parties throughout the summer! www.villamaria.co.nz

A special thanks to Thirsty Girl for including me in this #TGTaste! The Twitter tasting is tomorrow, May 16th at 5 pm. http://thirstygirl.com/sponsor-villa-maria-estate/

No comments:

Post a Comment