Saturday, June 30, 2012

Sauvignon Blanc: Top 5 for Summertime Sipping

With this hot weather, I can't get enough Sauvignon Blanc!

My preferred style of Sauvignon Blanc is usually aged "sur lie", which provides a nice creaminess and slightly subdues the level of acid. I prefer to taste tropical fruit flavors and citrus notes. When a wine has descriptors such as fresh-cut grass or wet stone or racy acidity, I'm usually not a fan of it.

In case you missed my previous posts about various Sauvignon Blancs that I have particularly enjoyed, here's a recap of my favorites:

1. 2011 Captûre Tradition Sauvignon Blanc 

2. 2011 Crocker & Starr Sauvignon Blanc

3. 2011 Hanna Sauvignon Blanc

4. 2011 Hartwell Reserve Sauvignon Blanc

5. 2010 Whitehall Lane Sauvignon Blanc

I was surprised to see that I have not previously blogged about Number #5. I have visited Whitehall Lane Winery in St. Helena several times; in fact, I enjoyed a bottle of their Sauvignon Blanc ($18/bottle) last month.

Blended with 8% Semillon, it has a floral bouquet and good acidity with honeydew and citrus flavors. It's terrific with sushi. Cheers!



No comments:

Post a Comment