Thursday, June 14, 2012

Chenin Blanc does not equal jug wine

On Tuesday evening, I arrived for a twilight tennis match with a bottle of 2011 Pine Ridge Chenin Blanc-Viognier in hand. It had been such a hot day, and the idea of drinking something cold and refreshing after my match was something I looked forward to. 

A few other players brought wine, but my bottle was a hit--no pun intended. It was gone before I could refill my glass and it sparked a conversation about Chenin Blanc and its unfortunate association with jug wine.

Chenin Blanc used to be widely planted in the 1970s. It was a high-yielding variety that could thrive in the most unforgiving of conditions; thus it was mass-produced and easy to chug. Today, only a teeny tiny number of California vineyards are still planted to Chenin. 

The varietal on it's own can be one-dimensional and overly acidic, which is why it has become so unpopular over the years. But when produced in small batches and with the addition of Viognier for weight and complexity, Chenin Blanc can outrank any jug wine by a long shot. 

The Pine Ridge Chenin Blanc-Viognier is light, bright and fresh.  It is a lovely blend with citrus, peach, and honeysuckle notes. 

The twist-off cap makes it a great bottle for picnics, BBQ's and post-match parties. I found it at Trader Joe's for $10.99! 

No comments:

Post a Comment