Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Classic California Sparkling from Calistoga

As much as I love Champagne, California bubbly is oftentimes a better value and just as tasty, especially when it comes from Schramsberg Vineyards. If you’ve never toured the Schramsberg caves in the northern Napa Valley (Calistoga), I highly recommend it!

 
The 2010 Schramsberg Blanc de Blancs ($37/bottle) is a fresh and delightful sparkler with pronounced notes of juicy white peach on the palate. It has celebration written all over it, with a price tag that in my mind that reads “any weekday occasion will do”. That being said, I felt the need to celebrate this glorious, summer-like weather and my expectant departure from my day job (soon I’ll have more time to write, yay!).

Made in the méthode Champenoise, this bubbly is made of 100% Chardonnay grapes. It exudes a slightly yeasty character and sexy, subtle nuances of almond skin, toast, and something tropical that I can’t quite put my finger on. It finishes with an air of complexity, a whisper of green apple, and a kiss of fresh-baked bread. This sparkler has a delicate effervescence that makes it an excellent aperitif and also a terrific pairing with a light meal. Schramsberg makes some of the best bubbles in the Napa Valley. But don’t take my word for it! Get yours here and let me know what you think. Cheers!  

No comments:

Post a Comment