Monday, February 25, 2013

"Misery Loves Cabernet" (and so do I)


--> I have a weakness for funny, lighthearted women’s contemporary fiction. And if Cabernet is in the title, I’m definitely going to read it.

Which is exactly what I did when I discovered “Misery loves Cabernet,” a novel by Kim Gruenenfelder. I came across it on Amazon.com while I was doing a little research for the manuscript I’m currently working on (and specifically, what to call it).

As I embark on the sixth draft of my own novel, I have been thinking a lot about titles. Although “Misery loves Cabernet” is a quick and entertaining read, I don’t think the title is a clear representation of its content, characters, or plot. I was slightly disappointed that it didn’t have more wine references. The main character likes to drink wine, but the only bottles she mentions specifically are Clos du Val and Guenoc. And no one is wallowing in misery. This book might not really be about Cabernet, but I enjoyed reading it nonetheless.

Truth be told, I’d rather be drinking a really great Cabernet than reading about one…

The 2010 White Hart Central Coast Cabernet Sauvignon is one of my favorites right now. From a boutique producer in Paso Robles, this Cab is such a great value at only $23.50 a bottle (fpwm.com).

This juicy, ripe wine is dark and concentrated in the glass with mouthwatering aromas of cassis and blackberry pie. The palate is rich and round with chewy tannins, an abundance of dark berry flavors, and oaky undertones. The wine finishes with notes of sweet vanilla and wood spice. It is silky enough to sip casually on its own, perhaps while reading an amusing novel like “Misery loves Cabernet”, or enjoy it with an aged Gouda or hearty meat dish for the perfect pairing.


No comments:

Post a Comment