Monday, December 31, 2012

It's NYE...and time to drink Champagne!

It's New Year's Eve and the perfect occasion to pop a bottle of bubbly. I’ve been on a bit of a Champagne kick recently, partially because I have a new job at the Ferry Plaza Wine Merchant in San Francisco. Cheers to me!

To familiarize myself with our inventory, I've been trying lots of new Champagnes (tough job, I know!), but I haven't had enough time to write about each of them in detail. So here is a compilation of “tasting note tweets” in 140 characters (more or less) to help you pick out the perfect bottle of bubbles to ring in the new year. The following wines are all in stock at FPWM:

Monthuys Brut Reserve, NV ($33/bottle) is an excellent value! The nose offers a very pleasant perfume of crisp green fruit while the palate displays complex notes of caramelized pear, quince paste, and lightly browned butter. Absolutely delicious!

Philippe Gonet Grand Reserve Brut, NV ($69/bottle) is a gorgeous blend of 30% Chardonnay, 60% Pinot Noir and 10% Pinot Meunier. It smells like white flowers and freshly roasted hazelnuts. The palate is rich and nutty with notes of juicy stone fruit and toast. It’s both sexy and simply scrumptious!

Pierre Moncuit Blanc de Blanc Brut, NV ($46/bottle) is very easy to drink with an elaborate flavor profile of hazelnut, Asian pear, white peach, and citrus. Mandarin orange lingers on the finish. I will definitely buy this wine again!

René Geoffroy Premier Cru Brut, NV ($50/bottle) is round and full-bodied; it smells a little like really ripe triple-cream cheese. One sip introduces flavors of almond skin, fresh-baked bread, and green apple. Finishes with a citrusy note.

Jose Dhondt Blancs de Blancs Brut, NV ($65/bottle) is decadent and well worth the price. This is the wine that I will be celebrating NYE with!

Check out more of my sparkling reviews of the sparkling wines we featured at last month’s wine seminar and tasting.

Whether you celebrate New Year’s Eve with Champagne or not, I hope it is a truly festive occasion. Cheers to a fabulous and wine-filled 2013!

No comments:

Post a Comment