Sunday, October 21, 2012

Stepping Stone Pinot Noir pairs well with a movie

During the few years that I lived in the Napa Valley, I always considered taking wine when I went to the movies. My friends said they always did it, and, to be honest, I would expect the theaters in wine country to serve wine in the first place. After this weekend, I can say that I have successfully smuggled wine into a movie theater (just don’t tell the folks at the Century Larkspur Landing).

But seriously, when they’re warning you to turn off your cell phone and keep quiet during the film, they don’t say anything about refraining from drinking your own wine. Besides, we weren’t the only wine drinkers in the theater! I noticed a guy sitting near us holding a wine glass. Alas, this post could also be titled, “When to take your own wine, part two”. (Part one referred to when to take your own wine to dinner, but since movie theaters don’t serve wine…)

It’s almost Halloween and the movie pickings are slim (unless you like scary movies). A friend and I decided to go see “Seven Psychopaths”, which I agreed to because it was supposedly a comedy and it had a great cast (including Christopher Walken, Colin Firth, and Abbie Cornish). Everything is better with a great bottle of wine; in my bag, I stashed the 2010 Stepping Stone by Cornerstone Pinot Noir ($35/bottle).

*Although a wine with a screw-cap is ideal to take to the movies, this wine has a cork closure. I keep a wine key in my glove compartment for times like these. If you try this [at the theater], please use caution when cutting the foil in the dark!

I forgot the GoVino cups, but even out of a paper cup, the Stepping Stone Pinot Noir is a delight. It has a pretty perfume of raspberry, wild cherry, dusty rose, and the telling aroma of fresh earth that I associate with most Oregon Pinots. On the palate, the cherry notes are complemented by vanilla, spice, red currant and soft tannins. Bright acidity and a long finish of juicy red berries makes this a great wine for sipping solo or pairing with all kinds of foods (it would be great with pork, ahi tuna, or anything with mushrooms).

“Seven Psychopaths”, which consisted of some funny parts and a few very gory scenes, might not be a must-see in my book, but I definitely recommend you try this wine.

Made with grapes sourced from 6 of the appellations within the Willamette Valley of Oregon under the tutelage of Tony Rynders, this Pinot Noir was matured in French oak (35% new) for 13 months. Unlike its more complex, age-worthy companion [the 2010 Cornerstone Cellars Willamette Valley Pinot Noir ($50/bottle)] the Stepping Stone Pinot is designed to be enjoyed in all its youthful glory.

I love the label art, too! It seems appropriate for such a pretty, whimsical, and lively wine to be labeled with a painting called, “Color of Life”, by Oregon artist Janet Ekholm.

This wine was received as a sample courtesy of Cornerstone Cellars. Need a wine tasting recommendation? Read my post about the Cornerstone Tasting Room and go visit them in Yountville. Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. That sounds more like something a rich person with a home theater would do (especially if they're not in the mood to go to the world's best bars), or something straight out of a movie.

    ReplyDelete