Friday, September 7, 2012

Like being in Spain for one great meal

Last weekend, my boyfriend and I met a friend for dinner at B44 Catalan Bistro on Belden Lane in San Francisco.

At 5 pm every night, this tiny side street transforms into a little slice of Spain. Or France. Or Italy. (Depending on which restaurant you go to.) It becomes a pedestrian-only lane as tables and chairs are moved onto the street for dinner service. Awnings go up and strands of lights are hung. Attractive hostesses stand at the sidewalk and beckon new patrons.

At B44, we settled at an outdoor table, conveniently under a heater (it’s San Francisco, after all). A busboy poured us water without ice (so European!) right away, but the server ignored us for a while (also very European).

So we had plenty of time to scan the menu, which featured a long list of tapas, paella with an assortment of different ingredients, and many mouthwatering Spanish wines.

We started with Cava and a selection of tasty charcuterie with crusty bread. It was a delicious start to our meal.

Before our entrees were served, we noticed the other restaurants along the street were starting to fill up—it was becoming quite a scene with an eclectic crowd. Loud and lively, just like I experienced on my last trip to Spain [and I loved it!].

I ordered a glass of the 2010 Camins del Priorat to pair with my paella of chicken, sausage, clams and squid. My entrĂ©e was served in a cast-iron pan, which I think sat in the oven for a few minutes too long—but I enjoyed it any way.

The wine was amazing; full-bodied with soft tannins and flavors of boysenberry, blueberry, and black raspberry. It had an elegant finish with a whisper of cinnamon spice. This juicy blend is 60% Carignan, 30% Garnacha (Grenache), 5% Cabernet Sauvignon, and 5% Syrah; I found in on Wine.com for $21.99.

Doug ordered the lobster paella and was nice enough to share. His dish was presented with a large piece of lobster and the saffron rice was still moist and chewy. Both paellas were expertly seasoned and large enough for two people to share.

In lieu of dessert, we ordered the Spanish cheese plate; all three cheeses were delicious, but Manchego is the only one I can remember. There was another semi-firm cheese and one that was more similar to a gooey goat’s milk cheese. I ordered a glass of Rioja to pair with our final course, but I should have had another glass of the Priorat.

Although I hope to travel back to Spain soon, when I need my fix for paella and Spanish wine, I will definitely go back to B44. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment