Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Slightly Sparkling Vinho Verde

As always, I volunteered to bring a bottle of wine for the post-match party at my tennis club last night. Originally I planned to bring a bottle of Copain Pinot Noir because it was gray and misty when I woke up yesterday. But the sun finally came out and as it warmed up, I decided to bring a bottle of white wine.

When I arrived at the club a few minutes before my tennis match, I nestled a bottle of 2011 Broadbent Vinho Verde from Portugal into the ice bucket. I hoped that I would both win my match and that there would still be some wine left for me at that time.

Purchased from the Paradise Market in Corte Madera for $10.99, this Vinho Verde was the perfect pick-me-up, especially after running all over the court for 90 minutes.

This crisp, slightly effervescent wine is very refreshing (the bottle was empty very quickly). Very pale straw color in the glass, it has mild aromas of white flowers. Zesty and bright, the palate offers flavors of fresh peach and citrus. The finish is clean with a hint of spice. 

Vinho Verde is Portugal's largest wine region. Although it's not categorized as a sparkling wine, the trademark fizz of Vinho Verde comes from the release of carbon monoxide during the malolactic fermentation process.

A very food-friendly wine, it pairs well with spicy foods, Asian cuisine, summertime salads, shellfish and seafood. Cheers!


P.S. Have you had the chance to "Like" my page on Facebook? Please visit www.facebook.com/SipSwirlSavor when you get a chance. Thank you and happy #WineWednesday!

2 comments:

  1. Vinho Verde is just the perfect choice for our party next week. I am planning to buy liquor online so I read some reviews and posts about liquor experiences. It seems you had a great time with this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Heidi! Thanks for the comment. How did the Vinho Verde work out for your party?

    Please connect with Sip Swirl Savor on Facebook at www.facebook.com/sipswirlsavor to keep the conversation going!

    Cheers,
    Cortney
    aka the wine girl

    ReplyDelete