Sunday, April 15, 2012

When in Rome...order Italian wine

I have a confession to make. I know very, very little about Italian wine.

As much as I would like to learn more--and drink more--Italian varietals, quality examples are hard to come by. There are many Italian restaurants in the Bay Area, but Californian wines seem to dominate wine lists everywhere. There's very little risk in ordering a bottle of wine that I've already had and liked, but I also realize I won't discover new wines by playing it safe.


Last night, I went to dinner at Sociale, a hidden gem of a restaurant in the Presidio Heights neighborhood of San Francisco. Sociale is a study in northern Italian fare--and a great place to expand one's knowledge of Italian wines. (www.sfsociale.com)

The wine list was expansive without being overwhelming. But it didn't speak my language. Although I spotted a few wines from Sonoma and Napa, I ignored them. As my eyes scanned the list, I recognized a few varietals (I've had a few mediocre Sangioveses in my life and I've read in the Wine Spectator that Brunello di Montalcinos are amazing but quite pricey), but I had no idea what to order.

Our server addressed our table within minutes of our arrival and told us about the specials. At our request, the sommelier appeared a moment later. I told him that we would prefer something red, fruit-forward, and in the $50-$60 price range. Without being pretentious or condescending, he recommended two wines that he promised were both fruit-forward and would pair well with most of the menu.

He suggested a Montepulciano ($60/bottle) that was complex but not too heavy and a Sangiovese (only $36/bottle) that was very fruity.

We opted for the 2008 Le Berne Vino Nobile di Montepulciano, and although it was a little cold when first poured, it opened up nicely. It had luscious red cherry and currant flavors, good acidity, and a medium-plus body.

For our first course, we shared an order of the fried olives--absolutely delicious!--and the mushroom pot pie. The server also brought us a beet salad--on the house--which was light and tasty, too. I probably wouldn't order the pot pie again, if only because there were many other tempting options (like the duck meatballs).

And we enjoyed our wine so much that it was gone before our entrees arrived!

Sociale is a small, cozy space, so it didn't take me long to flag down the sommelier to order a second bottle. We decided to try his other recommendation; he poured the wine as our main course arrived.

The Sangiovese was very easy to drink; with bright red fruit and more acidity than the first wine. It complimented my arctic char surprisingly well. My dining companions ordered the quail and the spinach linguine with prawns; they didn't have any complaints either.

As our empty plates were cleared, we were surprised it was already 9 pm. Every table in the place was occupied; despite the low ceilings, we could still hear each other just fine and the service never suffered. The food was delicious, the sommelier was very helpful, and the waitstaff was there when needed.

Taking a risk on a couple bottles of Italian wine was a very good and pleasurable venture indeed!

3 comments:

  1. Well said, Cortney! It was a really lovely evening and made all the better with the wine choices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lovely evening indeed! Great to see you :)

      Delete