Friday, January 7, 2011

An elaborate hallway at Hall Rutherford


When I arrived at Hall Rutherford for an afternoon appointment a few weeks ago, I wasn't sure if I was in the right place. I parked in front of what looks like a high-end Napa Valley house and walked up to a traditional front door. There was no sign that said "come on in" or "ring the doorbell"; it seemed rude to just open the door to what looked like someone's home, but they were expecting me, so I let myself in.

Once inside I was greeted with a glass of the 2009 Hall Sauvignon Blanc, and I knew I was in the right place. This tastefully decorated building was "home" to many very
modern works of art, of which Craig and Kathryn Hall are big-time enthusiasts. And despite the modern furnishings, the place was inviting and cozy, but we didn't have a chance to get too comfortable. When the rest of the group arrived, we strolled down the driveway to the caves underneath the house.

I swirled and sipped the bright citrusy Sauvignon Blanc as our tour guide explained the winemaking process. (I was reminded just how tasty this Sauvignon Blanc is at dinner the other night at Willi's Wine Bar in Santa Rosa.) Then we proceeded through the caves, the ceiling of which was lined with Austrian brick; works of art were on display every few yards. And inside the tasting room was the famed chandelier I had heard so much about, with what seemed like thousands of tiny Swarovski crystals.

Once seated, we tasted three of Hall's super-small production wines including the 2007 Kathryn Hall Cabernet Sauvignon, exclusively only at the Rutherford location, and my favorite of the three. A wine to be savored, the Kathryn Hall Cab is rich and full-bodied with ripe blackberry and dark chocolate notes. A very sexy wine that compliments the elegant decor of the tasting room. The tour runs about an hour and is worth it to see how the chandelier sparkles!


No comments:

Post a Comment