Saturday, November 21, 2009

A real Rebellious Red (I'm not talking about myself, haha)

Despite the hundreds of times that I've passed Sequoia Grove Winery, it never occured to me to go tasting there. The barn-like exterior of the winery is very similar to their next-door neighbor Sawyer Cellars, and I'd never read any reviews of the Sequoia Grove wines. But earlier this week, while wine tasting on Hwy 29 with two fellow employees, we took our chances--and I'm so glad we did!


The tasting room at Sequoia Grove was rustic, but seasonally decorated with pine branches, red bows, and Christmas lights. They had many coffee table books, beautiful Schott-Weisel glasses, and a very welcoming staff. Vicki, who has worked at Sequoia Grove for ten years, enthusiastically poured all of the open wines for us, including a Sauv Blanc, Chardonnay, Cab Franc, 2005 Syrah and 2006 Syrah, Cabernet Sauvignon, the Reserve Cab, and my favorite, the 2007 Rebellious Red.


For $28 a bottle, the Rebellious Red is a steal! It's a blend of Cab, Merlot and Syrah, which is becoming not-so-unsual, but a fascinating blend nonetheless. With plummy fruit flavors and bold tannins, this wine is rich and ripe. Although enjoyable now, it's a little young, and could probably benefit from at least a few months in the bottle. But as a redhead, how could I not love a bottle of wine called "Rebellious Red"?

No comments:

Post a Comment