Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Post Office turned Tasting Room

I had been wine tasting before moving to the Napa Valley, but one winery that I don't know how I missed is Elizabeth Spencer. It was new to me when I moved here back in March, and I've been there about 3 times since. Conveniently, it is directly across the street from Rutherford Grill, so if your table's not ready, tasting at Elizabeth Spencer is a great way to kill some time and try some fantastic wines.

Originally the Rutherford Post Office, it became the tasting room for Elizabeth Spencer Wines in 1998. The wines are produced from fruit from various vineyards and thus, they deliver an eclectic and not-so-typical tasting menu--offering everything from Sauv Blanc, Chenin Blanc, Roussane, Chardonnay, Rose, Pinot Noir, Petite Sirah, Syrah, Merlot, Grenache, Cabernet Sauvignon.

At the Cheers event (an all-you-can-taste event in downtown St. Helena held on the first Friday of every month), I tasted the 2007 Grenache (it was definitely the highlight of the August Cheers). It stood out in my mind for it's ripe fruit flavors, medium-plus body, and immediate drinkability, and because Grenache is not that common in Napa Valley.

I highly recommend Elizabeth Spencer; their tasting room is quaint and cute and their staff are always friendly and informative. Although I have fond memories of the Pinot Noir and the Cabernet Sauvignon, I love the Grenache!

No comments:

Post a Comment